Sweepstakes Gambling Explained
If you’re new to sweepstakes casinos, you may be confused about how they work and how you can win real cash and other prizes. Learn everything you need to know about sweepstakes gambling and see why it’s taking the US by storm.
- Sweepstakes Casino Gambling
- What are Sweepstakes Casinos?
- Sweepstakes Coins vs Gold Coins - What’s the Difference?
- Redeeming Sweepstakes Coins for Real Cash Prizes
- 5 Features of a Top Sweepstakes Casino
- Sweepstakes Gambling on Mobile
- Sweepstakes Gambling Explained – FAQs
Sweepstakes Casino Gambling
The term ‘sweepstakes gambling’ is partly a misnomer, as the definition of ‘gamble’ is to risk money playing games of chance. You may be wondering how something can be ‘partly’ a misnomer. That’s what we’ll explain on this page.
First and foremost, playing at sweepstakes casinos is free. You never have to spend a cent of your own money if you don’t want to. Certainly, you can purchase additional coin packages if you desire, but these are completely optional.
Essentially, what has happened is the original sweepstakes model, in which participants enter a free draw in the hope of winning a prize, has been integrated into the world of online casino gaming.
Therefore, instead of entering a raffle to see if you win, you can play a top-rated video slot or enjoy a game of blackjack. Let’s delve deeper to fully explain how this all works and why you should consider joining the fun.
What are Sweepstakes Casinos?
The best way to understand sweepstakes casinos is to get an overview of the three main types of online casinos that are accessible to (some) players in the US.
Real Money Casinos
- Players deposit US dollars to play online slots, table games, video poker, and live casino games.
- The balance in your account is shown in USD.
- Withdrawals are made to your bank account or other chosen payment option.
- Real-money online casinos are only legal in six US states (NJ, PA, MI, WV, CO, and DE).
- Use an on-platform currency, usually called gold coins.
- Players receive free gold coins through daily bonuses and promotions, meaning you never have to make a purchase to play at these sites.
- Among the games are slots, video poker, and keno. Only one pure social casino offers live dealer games.
- You cannot withdraw gold coins. All games are purely for fun.
- Social casinos are available in nearly all US states, barring a few exceptions.
- These use two on-platform currencies, usually called gold coins and sweepstakes coins.
- Gold coins serve the same purpose as social casinos. They have no real-world value and can only be used to play for fun.
- Sweepstakes coins are used to play (the same games) in ‘promotional mode’.
- Among the games are slots, video poker, table games, bingo, and keno. Only a few sweepstakes casinos offer live dealer games.
- Players get free gold coins and sweepstakes coins through daily bonuses and promotions, so no purchase is necessary to play.
- However, coin packs can be purchased (optional).
- Winnings from play with sweepstakes coins can be redeemed in the form of cash prizes.
- Redemptions mean converting sweepstakes coins to a cash prize via bank transfer or another payment option.
- Sweepstakes casinos are available in nearly all US states, barring a few exceptions.
As you can see, a sweepstakes casino is simply a social casino with an added currency that allows players to play promotional sweepstakes games (for cash prize rewards).
Due to the grey area of what constitutes real money gambling, sweepstakes casinos must brand themselves as social casinos. Moreover, they must emphasize that NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY.
By adhering to these stipulations, they remain compliant with US sweepstakes laws and, as such, provide a legal way for American players to enjoy online casino games with the potential of cash prize rewards.
Sweepstakes Coins vs Gold Coins - What’s the Difference?
The explanation above on the differences between the types of online casinos should have started to paint a clearer picture. However, let’s dive in and look at the two currencies that are used at sweepstakes casinos - gold coins and sweepstakes coins.
Gold coins are the social currency used by most sweepstakes casinos. They allow you to play casino games for fun. Players get gold coins in a number of ways, including:
- Sign up bonuses
- Daily login bonuses
- Social media promotions
- On-site prize draws and raffles
Additionally, you can purchase gold coin packs if want more coins to play with.
Sweepstakes coins are what’s used to play promotional games that can lead to cash prize redemptions. To be a legitimate sweepstakes casino, the operator cannot sell sweepstakes coins. Instead, players collect them in various ways:
- Registration/Sign Up bonuses
- Daily login bonuses
- Social media competitions and promotions
- Email promotions
- On-site contests, such as random prize draws
- Postal requests
- As a gift when players purchase gold coins
Redeeming Sweepstakes Coins for Real Cash Prizes
The appeal of sweepstakes casinos is that SC (sweepstakes coins) essentially function the same as real dollars at a real money casino.
All free sweepstakes coins come with wagering requirements, for example:
|Brand||SC Wagering Requirements|
This means that if you receive 5 sweepstakes coins at Pulsz and McLuck after you wager the 5 coins, any winnings are clear for redemption. However, at Stake.US, the total wagering is 15 coins (3x), so you have to recycle your winnings until you’ve bet this amount.
Each sweepstakes operator imposes its own minimum redemption limits. Therefore, you need to have above a certain number of redeemable coins in your balance before you can make a redemption.
The process for redeeming coins is basically the same as making a withdrawal from a real money casino. Players choose the payment system they want to use and follow the prompts to complete the transaction.
5 Features of a Top Sweepstakes Casino
When searching for the best sweepstakes casinos, look at our top list of features. You can also browse our list of recommended sites for the best, trusted sweepstakes options.
- Find a sweepstakes casino that offers a wide range of game types. You should always find something to keep you entertained.
- Take note of the bonuses and promotions on offer. Will you easily get your hands on free gold or coins? These should be available on a regular basis.
- Is there a loyalty program that catches your eye? Many sweepstakes casinos have loyalty or VIP programs available to keep you rewarded.
- Look for good customer service. 24/7 live support is ideal, so you always know someone is available should you have a query.
- Are random giveaways run every day? Sweepstakes casinos are all about giving players more ways to enjoy their favorite games. Make sure that the casino you choose is all about keeping you entertained.
Sweepstakes Gambling on Mobile
Playing at a sweepstakes casino via your mobile device is easy and fun. You don’t have to leave playing and chatting at home when you’re on the go. Several sweepstakes casinos have mobile apps for Android and iOS devices. If available, download the one you trust and start playing! We suggest visiting Stake.US to see what it has to offer.
From time to time, sweepstakes casinos will release special bundle offers and rewards for mobile players, especially if there is an app connected to the site. There may also be exclusive mobile-only games, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled.
Sweepstakes Gambling Explained – FAQs
How old must I be to play at sweepstakes casinos?
Depending on the state you live in, the rules regarding age may change. Generally, you need to be either 18 or 21 to play at sweepstakes casinos. Always check the terms and conditions before you create an account.
Can I win real money at sweepstakes casinos?
You can win on-site currency that can be exchanged for real money under the right conditions. You cannot win real money directly from the games you play at sweepstakes casinos.
Are sweepstakes casinos legal in the US?
Yes! You can legally play at sweepstakes casinos while residing in almost all states across the US.